We’re happy to announce that the call for papers has closed and registrations are now open for our 2017 Conference: Agency in Jazz and Improvisation.
Agency in Jazz and Improvisation
Friday 2nd June to Sunday 4th June, 2017
Paris Cat Jazz Club, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
(Friday opening reception 5:00 – 6:30pm)
The Australasian Jazz and Improvisation Research Network (AJIRN) is pleased to announce a call for papers/presentations for a 3-day research conference on jazz and improvised music in association with the 2017 Melbourne International Jazz Festival (MIJF).
Discussion around agency has accumulated in significant research and commentary about jazz and improvisation – particularly in terms of aesthetics, culture and cognition. The thrust of the discussion seems to have moved from assuming the musician has singular agency in his or her work to a more distributed agency where other agents collaborate to create music.
In this conference, we encourage a cross-section of researchers from the field to explore the notion of agency in jazz from multiple perspectives, including:
- the consequential and inter-related impact of diverse and dynamic agents on creativity and innovation in improvised and experimental Jazz;
- how agency is articulated in the analysis of performance/composition, including for example, identifying methods of analysis appropriate to a particular modality;
- articulating and accommodating sociological concepts of agency, such as maintaining allegiance to localities in globalised, post-diasporic Jazz;
- How agents and agencies are characterised in performance experimentation;
- The utilisation of agents and agencies external to the composer, performer and performance; and
- The contrasting frameworks of musicologists and experimental performers/composers in relation to agency.
Costs: (Incudes 1 year membership to AJIRN)
(lunch, morning and afternoon tea included in registration)
Conference Convener: Associate Professor Robert Burke
Conference Contact, Program Chair: Fiona Burnett
Please contact Fiona Burnett: firstname.lastname@example.org
Conference Dates: Friday 2nd June, (opening evening), Saturday 3rd June and Sunday 4th June, 2017
Presented by The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music – Monash University in association with the 2017 Melbourne International Festival of Jazz.