On the 31st of October 2016, Robert Burke and Rob Vincs convened the inaugural conference of the Australasian Jazz & Improvised Research Network, held at the VCA in Melbourne.
The event was attended by around 40 with a great balance of early career and experienced researchers. The day was full of enthusiastic and informed discussion dispersed with papers from:
Prof Roger Dean
Prof Bruce Johnson
Dr Chris Coady
and shorter presentations from:
Prof John Whiteoak
Prof Tony Gould
- To develop the research group as support for jazz research and researchers.
- A committee to be established
- Name of the group to be: Australasian Jazz and Improvisation Research Network – AJIRN
- Use the word Australasian so to include New Zealand and neighbours such as Paua New Guinea
- Connections to be made with New Zealand
- Website to be established
- Conference in 2017
- Possible small fee for a membership fee to go towards the costs of setting up the website and mentorship program.
You can view a copy of the program here: Program AJIRN 31st Oct 2016